There was a stage in my life – a long, long time ago before I was married and had kids;) – when I worked out 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day. And my gym had a smoothie bar right in the center of it. So, post workout if you needed it, you could get a delicious, high protein smoothie. And trust me, I almost always needed it! 😉
One of my absolute favorite smoothies was one called a “Velvet Elvis”. Like the name suggests, it was a peanut butter-banana smoothie concoction. It was AMAZING.
We don’t do peanut butter in my house for allergy reasons. And working out looks more like a walk around the neighborhood than a power yoga class so this is a definitely a lighter, less calorie-rich version. But I do still enjoy a good allergy-friendly version of the Velvet Elvis smoothie. It makes a great breakfast or lunch!
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 rounded spoonfuls greek, coconut or soy yogurt
- 1 rounded spoonful Sunbutter
- 1 frozen banana or 1 banana with handful of ice
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- Add the coconut milk, oats, sunbutter, banana/ice and yogurt to your blender.
- Blend for at least 60 seconds.
- Then, go ahead and give this smoothie and extra 30-60 seconds to make sure the oats are well incorporated and it's nice and smooth.