Have you ever heard the expression “necessity is the mother of invention”? I don’t know enough to say if that quote actually applies to true inventors – but I feel like that’s ALWAYS the case in my kitchen.
Take this recipe for example. I desperately need to go to the grocery store – I have practically no fresh vegetables in my house right now. Literally, just green onions and ome mini bell peppers (and probably sweet potatoes, because I always have sweet potatoes…) So I decide to make a side dish with just 3 basic ingredients: mini bell peppers, green onions, and cheese.
And you know what? It was pretty much the most delicious thing on my plate all day! It’s crazy how easy and flavorful these were! We had ours with some grilled pork tenderloin, but I bet they would be perfect as an easy appetizer or side to any sort of cookout fare (i.e. burgers, hotdogs, grilled chicken, etc.)
- 10-12 mini bell peppers, halved & seeded
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoon feta cheese
- 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon mozzarella cheese
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 425. Half the mini sweet peppers, then remove the core and the seeds. Toss the bell peppers in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay the peppers in a single layer in a baking dish or on a sheet pan.
- Mix together there cheeses and green onion. Carefully spoon about a teaspoon onto each pepper half.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the peppers start to soften and the cheese is melted. Then turn on the broiler and broil until the tops of the peppers just start to crisp up, about 3 more minutes.
See what I mean? Easy, delicious – a great kitchen invention;) How about you? What yummy recipes have you created out of necessity?