Even in the summertime, I love soup. It’s one of my favorite foods. As long as the A/C is working… I like to serve it a couple times a month. Mainly because it’s not difficult or expensive to make and you can get creative! I mean, you can really add anything to a pot of broth and call it soup, right?
Since I am always looking for new ways to use the summer bounty of sweet corn, tomatoes and and zucchini, so a light summer stew seemed like a good idea 🙂 And I must say, my husband and I both thought this soup was a delicious success!
Chicken, veggies, broth – I know it sounds like nothing fancy, but I really think you all will love it. And you can make modifications based on what you have in your fridge, but the corn and tomatoes are a MUST!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 ears white, sweet corn
- 1 large tomato, diced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, red onion, zucchini and carrots and cook until they just start to soften about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute before adding in the chicken broth.
- Season chicken with salt and garlic pepper and coat in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Roast chicken in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot or oven and allow the chicken to cool a bit. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it and add to the soup. Using a sharp knife, cut the corn off the cob and add to the soup. Use the back of the knife and scrape any corn "milk" or little bits into the soup as well. This adds starch to help thicken the stew just a bit, as well as some sweet flavor. Core and dice a large tomato and add it into the soup.
- Check the soup for seasoning and add salt & pepper as needed. Stir well to combine everything and it is ready to serve! This soup makes enough for 4 people.