Occasionally, I overcomplicate things. I say 50 words when 10 will do. I multitask. I create unnecessary dilemmas for myself by overanalyzing. I shop at 3-4 grocery stores so I can get the best price on each item on my list.
But in the kitchen… I LOVE simple. Recipes with just a few steps and a handful of simple ingredients. With cooking, less is sometimes much more. And these simply roasted new potatoes are a perfect example. Salt + Potatoes + Oil, then roast. So simple and so delicious.
I love the flavor and tender skin of the baby or new potatoes. But if you are thinking you don’t want to spend the extra $2, you can go right ahead and use regular russet or baking potatoes. I would recommend cutting well-scrubbed russet potatoes into about 6-8 wedges per potato, depending on the size of each potato. A few notes for perfect roasted potatoes:
- The potatoes must be completely dry before you coat with oil and roast. They won’t crisp up nicely if there is too much moisture.
- For the most flavor, you need to roast them until they are nice and crispy. This might mean you have to cook longer than 45 minutes – because everyone’s oven’s bakes a little bit differently.
- Don’t skimp on the salt. Even perfectly roasted baby potatoes will be a disappointment if you don’t use enough salt. I like to season the potatoes twice – before they go in the oven and right after they come out.
- 2 lbs baby new potatoes (any color)
- 2-3 tablespoons good quality grapeseed or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (more to taste)
- pepper to taste
- optional add-ins such as: 1 teaspoon rosemary, 3 cloves minced garlic, or 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rinse and lightly scrub the potatoes. Dry them completely. Cut the potatoes in half and toss in a bowl with oil, salt, pepper and any herbs you would like. Transfer the potatoes to a sheet pan and spread out into 1 single layer.
- Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes or until brown and crispy. Turn once or twice during cooking in order to ensure the potatoes brown evenly.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, season again and serve hot.