Hello sweet potato season!
I really love sweet potatoes… I am definitely not one of those people who waits until Thanksgiving to enjoy them!
And nothing compliments sweet potatoes quite like warm and spicy sausage. These sausage and sweet potato hash burritos are a delicious way to start your day. And they freeze so well that you can have them on hand for breakfast any day of the week.
- 1 pound turkey or pork breakfast sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½-inch or smaller cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 12 eggs
- 3 tablespoon to 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage until it is golden brown and crispy. Remove the sausage from the pan, leaving 1-2 tablespoons of the fat that has rendered out in the pan too cook the vegetables.
- Add the diced vegetables to the sausage drippings. Combine the sweet potatoes, onion, and pepper in the pan and let cook until the potatoes are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat and combine with the browned sausage. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together. I like to add a little bit of milk - I find that the milk helps the fluffier eggs. Scramble the eggs in a separate skillet. Be sure to add oil or butter if your pan isn't non-stick.
- To assemble the burritos, sprinkle each tortilla with shredded pepper jack cheese a few tablespoons of the sausage and sweet potato hash, topped with eggs.