I love easy appetizers. It’s nice to have a few go-to recipes that don’t require a lot of ingredients, time, and energy. This recipe is awesome because it is cute enough for baby showers and tasty enough for a crowd of guys watching the game or the race. These pulled pork wontons combine a juicy pulled pork with crunchy oven-baked wonton cups, smooth BBQ cream and some fresh green onion and cilantro. Sounds delicious and easy, right? 🙂Also, I love pulled pork. Below is the recipe that I used for the filling of these wonton cups. I make a big batch of it about twice a month. It lasts in the fridge for several days and freezes very well. And you will see that I don’t just douse it with barbecue sauce like you would typically expect. I season it lightly with a spice rub, then cook it slowly in a crockpot.
Since I don’t use any sauce, the pork is really versatile. You can make these wonton cups. You can slice and serve with baked potatoes and veggies. You could make carnitas tacos with cilantro rice and black beans. Or you could serve with barbecue sauce for pulled pork sandwiches. And that’s just to name a few.
- 2.5lb pork tenderloin (or cut of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon of Spice Rub
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups pulled pork, shredded
- 20 wonton wrappers
- olive oil or cooking spray
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 teaspoons of hot sauce (depending on your tastes)
- 4 green onions
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- Combine all ingredients for spice rub and store in a glass jar. Place pork tenderloin in crockpot. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the spice rub onto the top of the pork. Cook low for 6-7 hours or until it is falling apart.
- To make the Pulled Pork Wontons:
- Preheat oven to 425. Brush 18-20 of the mini muffin tin holes with olive oil or coat with cooking spray. Press one wonton wrapper into each muffin tin hole. These don't have to be perfect or all exactly the same - just ensure that the wrapper completely covers the hole and there are no cracks. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- While these bake, warm the pulled pork - but do not overcook or it will dry out! Mix together sour cream, barbecue sauce, and hot sauce. Finely chop your green onions and chop up some cilantro.
- Once the wonton cups are out of the oven and have cooled slightly, spoon about 1/2 tablespoon of warm pulled pork into each cup. Top with a teaspoon of sour cream mixture and sprinkle with cilantro and green onions.
- To make ahead, cook the wonton wrapper cups up to 1 hour before and the just assemble whenever you are ready.