I’ve probably shared this before… but I used to love cooking recipes with lots of steps and ingredients (and I still do a few times a year), but it’s not a realistic part of my daily routine with 3 little boys running around. Maybe you too are a in a stage of life where things are just busy – and simple is better. And definitely don’t think cooking or baking simple dishes means you are sacrificing flavor – easy 5 ingredient or less recipes can still be delicious and healthy.
These 5 ingredient Oats & Honey Granola bars are my kids’ favorite – the perfect amount chewy and crispy – and really full of flavor. I use a combination of rolled oats and crispy rice cereal – crispy, puffed rice makes them light and crispy, while rolled oats add a hearty, chewy bite.
I also use Sunbutter in this recipe. And if you aren’t familiar with Sunbutter… its texture and flavor is really almost identical to peanut butter. But nutritionally speaking, it’s healthier for you – 1/3 less fat, 25% more Vitamin E, plus more iron and fiber than traditional peanut butter. I buy the Sunbutter brand because it’s available for a great price on Amazonand is made from protein-rich sunflower seeds harvested by local farmers in North Dakota.
Hope you try this granola bar out today using Sunbutter, or another healthy nut butter like almond, and let me know what you think!
- 1/4 cup Sunbutter or nut butter of your choice)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 1 cup krispy rice cereal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, optional
- Melt the Sunbutter, honey, and coconut oil together in a saucepan over medium low heat. Stir together to make sure it all melts together - this will only take a minute or two.
- Combine the melted Sunbutter and honey mixture with the salt, rice cereal and oats. Stirring well to make sure all the dry cereal is well coated.
- Pour everything into a lightly buttered square baking dish. Press firmly so that you get a nice even layer. Chill for about 20-30 minutes before cutting.
- Optional: For a chocolate variety, sprinkle 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips over the top of the bars before chilling. Press the chips down gently into the granola bars.
This post contains affiliate links.