New England sugar makers are true artisans. My aunt, uncle and cousin produce small batches of wood-fired pure maple syrup in Vermont. Naturally, they share some creative uses for maple syrup, everything from maple bacon candy to a maple sugar sand face scrubs. But one of the best ideas they have shared is granola made with rolled oats and shredded coconut tossed in pure maple syrup.
And you guys – I don’t know how its possible for crunchy granola to melt in your mouth, but somehow this granola seems to do just that. Be sure to add a generous pinch of kosher salt to balance and buttery-ness of the coconut and the sweetness of the maple syrup. Besides enjoying this sweet granola by the handful, it is also a delicious breakfast with fruit and yogurt and it makes an indescribably good and irresistibly crunchy ice cream topping for dessert!
I created a nut-free and dairy-free granola (for allergy reasons). But you are welcome to add up to 1/2 -3/4 cup of chopped almonds (or pumpkin seeds) to this recipe – the extra crunch would be delicious.
- 2 cups rolled oats (sometimes called old-fashioned oats)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. You will want to use a non-stick baking sheet or line yours with a SilPat or parchment paper.
- Combine the rolled oats, coconut, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Warm the coconut oil and syrup over low heat until melted. Stir in the vanilla. Pour the warm liquid mixture over your dry ingredients. Stir until dry ingredients are coated.
- Spread out the granola mixture on your baking sheet into an even layer. %http://domesticcontessa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Untitled-design-64.jpg
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until granola is golden brown. Stir a few times during baking to ensure it cooks evenly. Let granola cool completely before storing in a mason jar, ziplock bag, or other air-tight container. The granola will last for up to 1 month.