Laundry tips… I know what you’re thinking… you’ve seen it all before. Well maybe, but some of these tips were completely new to me just a few weeks ago, so I thought they might be worth sharing! Anything to help save time and reduce stress with the laundry chore are welcome in my house. And who knows, one of these tips might be a help to you too!
1. Pre-sort socks and underwear. This is a great tip I heard from a friend! Buy enough of those mesh lingerie laundry bags for each person in your household – if you live alone, a separate one for socks and underwear. Use a sharpie to label each bag. Each person’s socks and dirty underwear are washed in the bag with their name on it. When it comes time to sort and fold, it’s way less stress – because you have eliminated the headache matching up socks and figuring who each pair of underwear belongs too!
2. Wash a load of laundry every other day. I know a lot of people are all about “laundry day” – but I don’t like having 3-4 basketfuls thrown on my bed all at once. I think that is so overwhelming. Washing, drying, folding and putting away ONE load of clothes every day or every other day – now, that is a manageable task that most of us can accomplish. Plus, if you wash all your clothes in cold water – you don’t even have to sort the colors! Also, when you launder this way, you don’t end up with permanently stained clothing because grease, food, grass, etc. has had a chance to get set-in to the fabric.
3. Freeze your Jeans. I recently learned you aren’t supposed to wash your jeans every time you wear them. I understand it’s better for the jeans, but I was a little grossed out by the thought of having a bunch of germs from my latest trip to Target and the pediatrician’s office just hanging out on my jeans for a week or two… so I did some research and you’ll never guess what I learned: You can FREEZE your jeans to kill germs in between washes! After my favorite jeans spent 72 hours in the freezer, I must say, they honestly did feel clean and fresh! But, note – you will definitely want make sure your freezer is free of smells and odors first.
4. Throw some tennis balls in the dryer with your linens. Whenever you wash sheets, towels, pillows, bath rugs, etc., throwing a few clean tennis balls in the dryer too! Not only does this help your laundry dry faster, but it also add a little bit of extra fluff to your linens and pillows.
5. Quit Ironing! I hate ironing – despise it. It’s one chore I try to avoid at all costs. I personally never buy anything that needs to be ironed, but some of my husband’s work pants and shirts aren’t of the no wrinkle variety :(. Easy tip: dampen a hand towel or a washcloth (not soaking wet – just damp) and throw it in with the shirt or pants for 20 minutes. Bye bye wrinkles!
6. Touch it once. Every heard of the one-touch rule? Well, I’ll explain quickly how it works – specifically with laundry! If you try on a shirt and it doesn’t work with your jeans, you throw it on a chair in your room, right? (And if you’re like me, there’s two shirts, your jeans, a a scarf, and a tank top on the chair by the time you walk out the door in a dress…) Well the one-touch says that you don’t leave things laying out of place to put away another time – you put everything where it belongs the first time you touch it! Take off a shirt and put it back on a hanger, fold the jeans and put them in your drawer, put your dirty socks in the hamper, etc. One-touch rule can help create a home free of laundry clutter (and alleviates stress!).
Hope you learned a new tip or two!