I love cornbread! It’s the perfect partner for all kinds of soups and chilis. But I’m partial to a sneaking a piece right when it comes out of the oven slathered in butter. Mmm… delicious!
- 4 cups flour
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cornbread mix
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cheddar
- 2 heaping tablespoons minced picked jalapenos
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. You can store the cornbread mix in air-tight container and it should stay fresh up to 3 months.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8x8 square. Combine all the wet ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Add the cornbread mix and stir together until just combined.
- Spoon the cornbread mixture into the greased pan and smooth out the top with a spatula or spoon. Sprinkle with the shredded cheddar. Bake the cornbread for 20-25 minutes or until just done. Serve this cornbread with a steaming bowl of soup or chili and enjoy!
Note: If you think you’d like the cornbread to have a more spicy kick, feel free to add more minced jalapenos to the batter or sprinkle some of the pickled jalapenos slices directly on the top with the cheese before baking.
~ julie ~