This pancake mix recipe is my favorite because 1) it is affordable. Even though I use high quality ingredients to make my pancake mix (organic cane sugar, aluminum-free baking powder, etc.), 9 cups of this mix still only costs about $3.75. That’s less than a box of Bisquick – and for pancakes that are so much better tasting – and better for you! And 2) this recipe isn’t picky or high maintenance. Can recipes be high maintenance you ask? Yes, I think so! What I mean is, this can be made with any kind of milk, club soda or in a pinch, even water.
- 8 cups of flour (I do 4 cups all-purpose and 4 cups white wheat flour) - $1.50
- 3/4 cup baking powder (I use aluminum-free) - $2
- 1/2 cup sugar ($.20)
- 1 teaspoon salt ($.01)
- 1 cup homemade pancake mix
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups any kind of milk, club soda, or even water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Sift all ingredients into a large bowl. Stir to combine all the ingredients together well.
- Store in a large sealed container or jar for 2-3 months. I wouldn't recommend trying to store it much longer than that or the baking powder will lose some of it's effectiveness.
- Combine 1 cup pancake mix with 1 cup milk and oil. The baking powder will make this batter puff up and tends to absorb a lot of the liquid, so don't be surprised that you might need to add some extra milk/club soda to get the right consistency.
- Cook your pancakes as usual - making sure not to have the pan too hot - you want them to cook slowly and evenly.
- 1 cup of pancake mix makes about 12 medium-large sized pancakes or 20 smaller pancakes.