Double chocolate sounds like start of a sinfully decadent treat, right? Nothing sinful about these muffins! While they are moist and delicious, they are not overly sweet (only 1/3 cup of sugar) – which makes them perfectly acceptable for breakfast.
Of all the things I bake, muffins are definitely a family favorite. My little boys can smell them baking from a mile away and come sprinting to the oven door as soon as the timer goes off. I like these muffins because they have no added fat (thanks to applesauce), are lower in sugar (thanks to ripe bananas), and are healthy enough to be breakfast, but sweet enough to be dessert. And my kids like these muffins because well, chocolate… and chocolate chips… and chocolate. That’s about all it takes when you’re 3, right? Who am I kidding… sometimes that’s about all it takes when you’re 33!
Oh, one more thing to mention… this recipe is vegan (dairy and egg free!).
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, plus some to sprinkle on the top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease (they tend to stick to paper muffin liners) a 12 count muffin pan or 24 count mini muffin.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas, and add in the applesauce, sugar, water and apple cider vinegar. Whisk or beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Sift together the flours, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add it in to the wet ingredients, Fold in the mini chocolate chips.Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top of each muffin if you'd like.
- Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 way full. Bake for about 17 minutes for regular-sized muffins or 12 minutes for mini muffins - or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool completely. Freeze in air tight plastic storage bags or containers. Muffins will freeze for 2-3 months. To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator or warm in oven/microwave.