I was thinking about calling this recipe egg roll stir fry – because that’s exactly what this dish reminds me of. All the yummy flavors that you would traditionally find wrapped up in an egg roll, are served stir-fry style instead! No egg roll wrappers necessary. Low-carb all the way 🙂 And then I made a batch of SunButter No Bake Cookies about 5 minutes afterwards so….
There are a lot of healthy ingredients in this stir-fry and I can’t help but love any recipe that has such a beautiful rainbow of ingredients. With bright flavors of sweet carrots, fresh ginger, and zesty lime… and oh, oh and then the sausage. Everything is better with sausage, right? Or is that bacon? 😉
And just one thing to add – don’t be scared off by the fresh ginger! One HUGE piece of ginger only costs a few dollars and it freezes beautifully and will last for months! Just grab it out of the freezer, peel and then grate it into your favorite recipe. Or sometimes, I just slice off a chunk and make a ginger simple syrup (fresh ginger, plus equal parts sugar and water – then boil until the sugar dissolves) to flavor my tea in the fall months!
Back to dinner though – I can’t even tell you how good this was… if you’re on the fence – you just have to try it. You simply cannot beat this flavorful, easy, and healthy dish.
And if you love the flavor of sweet carrots and have some leftover fresh ginger in your freezer – you should try my Mini Vanilla & Carrot Scones with Fresh Ginger!
- 1 lb ground turkey (or pork) breakfast sausage
- 1/2 small head green cabbage (or Napa), thinly sliced
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons garlic infused oil (I like Roasted Garlic Grapeseed Oil)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons - 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Cook the ground turkey sausage in a pan with a tablespoon of oil. When it has browned nicely (about 10 minutes), remove the pork from the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of oil along with the cabbage, green onions, and garlic. Sauté the vegetables until nearly cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Add the fresh ginger, soy sauce and lime juice, then mix in the browned sausage. Allow the sausage and cabbage to cook together for another 2-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately with fresh lime juice. Note: as it sits, the soy sauce will soak in to the cabbage and it might turn a little darker in color (see below) - but even though the color has changed slightly, this dish is still just as delicious!