We eat a lot of sandwiches, wraps, and salads for dinner in the summer. Basically anything that I can cook without cranking on the oven is a winner. My husband and I especially love grilling. A lot of times, my husband will get the grill going and cook dinner (burgers, steak, etc.) but also cook up some chicken so I have it to use for other meals.
So in case, you want to skip the grilled chicken, I tried this recipe with some chicken tenders in my skillet and it was still just as delicious.
- 4 pitas or flatbreads (check out my recipe for homemade flatbreads!)
- 1 cup greek salsa
- 1 cup diced cucumber (2 small or 1 large)
- 1 cup diced tomato (about 2 tomatoes)
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- grind or two of pepper
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into strips or about 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- few grinds of black pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional - omit if you are avoiding dairy)
- Preheat a grill or skillet to medium high heat. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and oregano. If you are grilling, you will want to cook the chicken tenders about 4 minutes a side until they are cooked through completely. In the skillet, it took me a little bit longer - just about 10 minutes total. If I am cooking in the skillet, I usually cook the chicken in a few batches so that they don't just steam in an overcrowded pan.
- Dice the cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Combine these all together and then season with salt, pepper and dill.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and toss well to combine.
- Slice your grilled chicken tenders.
- Place each flatbread on a plate. Top with the chicken first, then about 1/4 cup of greek salsa and lastly 1 tablespoon of feta cheese. The feta is not necessary, so you can definitely avoid if don't eat dairy.
- I don't roll my completely up like a burrito or anything, I prefer them overstuffed and almost open-faced.