Sweet muffins are staple over here – but sometimes it’s nice to change it up a bit and go the no-sugar route. Savory muffins make the perfect breakfast – at home or on the go. But savory muffins are versatile too! These Cheddar Spinach Muffins are a great compliment to a variety of different soups, stews, and salads.
If you are serving these Cheddar Spinach Muffins for breakfast and you would like to make them a little more filling, you can add 1/2 cup of ground turkey sausage or 1/4 cup of chopped bacon. You can also substitute finely shredded zucchini (drained) or finely shredded carrots instead of spinach.
I highly recommend you all giving this recipe a try! I Branching out from traditional sweet muffin varieties can be a very tasty thing 🙂 I usually make a double batch because like most muffins, they freeze beautifully. And then for a super quick breakfast, you can have all the flavors of a breakfast sandwich without all the effort. The muffins thaw at room temperature in about an hour, in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or in microwave for just 25-30 seconds.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup oats, ground in blender until powdery
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Dill Seasoning Blend
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 12-count muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl melt the butter. Add the milk and stir until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Stir until flour is absorbed.
- Add in the shredded cheese and chopped spinach. Fold the cheese and spinach into the batter being careful not to over-mix.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- For quick breakfast, store in freezer bags for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw at room temperature in about an hour, in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or in microwave for just 25-30 seconds.