It seems like everyone has a recipe for banana bread. And everyone makes amazing claims about theirs being “the best”, “the moistest”, “perfectly delicious”… Well, my banana bread recipe is all of those. And more.
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup sunflower or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1/3 cup or so of milk of choice, I prefer unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (for the top)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Peel the bananas and place them in a large bowl. Take a fork and mash away until they are really well mashed.
- Add the sugar and oil, then combine thoroughly with a spatula or an electric hand mixer.
- Add the flour first, the baking soda and salt on top of the wet ingredients. Mix until the flour is completely absorbed by the wet ingredients. Stir in the wheat germ. Add milk to thin the batter. then stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into a nonstick or greased loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the banana bread cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes before cutting into it.