I love sweets. But I don’t necessarily want to sit down to a big bowl of sweetness like a brownie a la mode, slice of pie or piece of cake after dinner. I prefer bite-sized treats that I can eat 2-3 of throughout the day and not feel guilty about. 😉 And anything coconut has always been a favorite of mine and if it’s topped with chocolate…. yum, the perfect sweet treat.
These simple treats contain just a handful of ingredients: unsweetened coconut, coconut oil, honey, chocolate, and a pinch of salt. They are easy to whip up and make for delicious and wholesome candy bite. And you really don’t need much honey at all to give these a good amount of sweetness! Plus added bonus, these are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and nut-free.
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 4-5 tbsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ cup dark or semisweet chocolate, melted
- In a medium bowl, combine the softened coconut oil and the honey until smooth. Add in ½ cup of shredded coconut and a pinch of salt. Note: you can add more or less honey depending on your taste.
- Measure out teaspoon-sized truffles and carefully roll into balls and place onto parchment paper or [silicone baking mat|http://amzn.to/1LWi0zv} lined cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer so the truffles can firm up for about 10 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave in 20-30 second intervals. Stir until smooth.
- Once your truffles are firm, coat each one by dipping and turning each ball in chocolate and removing them with a fork or by spooning chocolate on top. Place them onto a piece of parchment paper or silicone baking mat to harden.
- Store the truffles in the refrigerator for up a two weeks or in the freezer for 3 months.