I hope you don’t mind another delicious burger recipe…. I know I’ve shared quite a few, but burgers are so easy and versatile – they make an appearance on our menu pretty much every week!
We use ground beef, ground turkey, and just recently, I have began to experiment with ground chicken – and I am definitely so glad I did! Chicken burgers are a healthy option and a great canvas for all sort of tasty toppings.
Inspired by the flavors of my favorite grilled cheese sandwich, this chicken burger is topped with crispy bacon, thinly sliced apple, gouda cheese and a dijon-mayonnaise, then served on toasted sourdough bread.
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 6 slices bacon, cooked (reserving grease)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 4 slices gouda cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 cup of baby greens
- Cook the bacon. on a baking sheet in the oven or on your stove top. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease. Cut each piece of cooked bacon in half and set aside.
- Shape chicken into patties. Since we are serving on bread not buns, I prefer an oblong shape over circles. Season each side of the chicken patties with salt and pepper.
- Add the bacon grease to a skillet and carefully transfer the chicken patties into the pan. Cook on medium heat until golden brown on both sides, but not cooked thru, about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove each patty carefully from the skillet and place in an 8x8 baking dish. Top with 3 half slices of bacon, 2-3 thin apple slices and one slice of gouda cheese.
- Bake the burgers at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and patties are cooked thru.
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise and dijon mustard in small bowl and toast the sourdough bread,
- Spread each slice of toasted bread with the dijon mixture. Top the bottom slice of bread with a handful of baby greens, then careful place the chicken burger on top.