Sometimes I need a little excitement in my life. Like today for example, when I decided to change-up my usually boring lunchtime salad by adding some freshly roasted carrots and using cabbage instead of lettuce. I thought the fresh thinly sliced napa and red cabbage were the perfect partner for the sweet and tangy balsamic-roasted carrots – and I hope you do too!
- 1 cup red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup napa cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 3-4 carrots, cut diagonally
- 1-2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 - 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp
- salt & pepper
- Combine the diagonally cut carrots with 1 tbsp olive and toss to coat. Season with salt & pepper.
- Roast in 400 degree oven for 18 minutes. Drizzle with 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and toss to coat.
- Roast for another 5 minutes until the balsamic vinegar begins to caramelize.
- Arrange sliced cabbage on serving platter. Sprinkle with the green onions.
- Drizzle with 1 tsp or so of olive oil and 1 tbsp or so balsamic vinegar.
- Top with the roasted carrots and then a generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Enjoy with crusty bread.
~ julie ~