I realize that by sharing a recipe for… well, essentially bacon butter, I may be losing some readers. 😉 I realize that adding bacon to butter probably sounds unnecessary – and unhealthy. But it’s okay to enjoy things in moderation – including fat. Maybe occasionally, a little bacon butter is just what the doctor ordered. Maybe.
This butter is super simple to throw together and is such an easy way to take your food to the next level. Serve it on bread or savory muffins, toss it with warm rice or pasta, serve it with mashed potatoes, or on top of grilled chicken or fish. And a little goes a long way – just a slice of this buttery goodness will give a huge boost of richness and flavor to any dish.
Try experimenting with your own compound butter flavors: mixed herb & garlic, spicy buffalo (with blue cheese!) or mixed berry with lime zest. The options are endless 🙂
Also, just wanted to note that if you are avoiding dairy, you can still make your own compound “butter”. All you need to do is substitute Earth Balance Spread for the butter and do not add any salt. Vegan butter with orange zest, cinnamon and honey is one of our favorites!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cooked bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives or 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Using a hand mixer or spatula, beat all the ingredients together until they are well incorporated and the butter is fluffy.
- Using a spatula, carefully spoon the butter mixture out of the bowl and onto the center of large piece of plastic wrap.
- Wrap the plastic around the butter, rolling it to make a log shape. Twist the ends of the plastic wrap to hold it together.
- Chill the butter until ready to serve. The butter is best eaten in 3-5 days. Or you can freeze the compound butter for 2-3 months.